SUSTAINABILITY THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
The Heathman Lodge has always been committed to being stewards of the land. Whether it's working with local farmers to find the freshest foods or partnering with outreach programs to help strengthen our community, we understand that the smallest things can make the biggest difference.
We realize that sustainability is more than a goal, but rather a process of ongoing improvement. This philosophy lead us to become business members of The Natural Step framework. The Natural Step is a global nonprofit organization founded to educate and effectively advance society towards sustainability.
In 2011 The Heathman Lodge became a founding member of the Clark County Green Business Program and was recognized for successfully meeting the programs six key areas of environmental impact to receive the endorsement:
• Storm Water Management
• Waste Reduction and Recycling
• Water Use and Recycling
• Purchasing and Toxics Reduction
• Energy Efficiency
• Community Engagement
HERE ARE SOME OF THE THINGS WE HAVE IMPLEMENTED TO REDUCE OUR ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT:
- Energy efficient lighting and appliances throughout hotel.
- Comprehensive recycling program including, 100% food composting, glass, cooking oil and florescent light bulbs.
- Carbon offsets purchased to offset transportation impact.
- New laundry system reduced water usage by over 250,000 gallons per year.
- Property uses non-phosphate, nontoxic, biodegradable, laundry detergents.
- Sustainability Committee developed to implement environmental purchasing policy.
- Water reducing retrofits on faucets and showerheads.
- Durable Recycled Tire Mats used in bar.
- Utilization of local Washington Beef purchasing program, free range eggs, and rBst free dairy products.
NOTABLE AWARDS AND ACCOLADES
100 Best Green Companies to Work For - Oregon Business Magazine
2010 Recycler of the Year Award, Generator- Washington State Recycling Association Member
Green Lights Program support the development of clean, earth-friendly electricity through Clark Public Utilities
PARTNERS AND RESOURCES
- The Chefs Garden www.chefs-garden.com
- Clark County Green Business www.clarkgreenbiz.com
- Food Alliance www.foodalliance.org
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch www.seafoodwatch.org
- Arbor Day Foundation www.arborday.org
- Green Seal Organization www.greenseal.org
- The Natural Step Foundation www.naturalstep.org
- Lower Columbia Alliance for Living Sustainably www.discoverlocals.org
- Green Lights Program www.clarkpublicutilites.com
- Waste Connections